I wrote a book on Marxism that was published in 1968: Marx's Religion of Revolution. Download a PDF of the 1989 update here.
1. A stage theory of historical development: feudalism, capitalism, revolutionary socialism, and communism.
2. The economic mode of production shapes society: philosophy, religion, and culture.
3. Capitalism is urban and industrial.
4. Capitalism creates the proletariat class: industrial workers.
5. The proletarians are the engines of revolution.
6. The proletarian class will revolt violently against capitalism.
7. Communism will come after the socialist era.
We have seen above, that the first step in the revolution by the working class is to raise the proletariat to the position of ruling class to win the battle of democracy.1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal liability of all to work. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the populace over the country.
10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children’s factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, &c, &c.