Labels

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Evolutionary Innumeracy - Vox Popoli

 In which Dennis McCarthy calls me out for failing to address his challenge to my PZ argument. And he’s right, I didn’t even bother to address the one he pointed out because it was so obviously wrong and I had already pointed out in the book that genetic drift is far too slow to ever fill in the gap that natural selection couldn’t. Hence my point about having addressed “every single relevant point”. What Dennis did on the challenge that I ignored was to apply Kimura’s substitution equation to the question of fixations over time while omitting Kimura’s equation for mean time to fixation for a neutral mutation.

So, I will rectify that failure now. To put it in terms everyone should be able to understand, he pointed to the speed limit sign to determine how fast the car was going instead of looking at the speedometer. I didn’t see any reason to respond to that; no biologist or population geneticist would ever suggest that genetic drift is actually faster than natural or sexual selection.

VD: Economists, mathematicians, and physicists are inordinately skeptical about evolution, because they all understand the math that the biologists don’t. Every single one who bothers to looks into it ends up dismissing it pretty quickly. Darwin was innumerate, by his own admission. Dawkins is observably innumerate. And the Wistar Symposium demonstrated that the very best and most influential evolutionists simply can’t comprehend the math involved.....


https://voxday.net/2026/09/14/evolutionary-innumeracy/