Sunday, January 14, 2024

Reading Putin - by Julian Macfarlane - News Forensics

A little communicative sensitivity goes a long way

Pay Attention to What Vladimir Putin Says

(Larry Johnson_

It's a great article—like most of what Larry writes…


One should not only pay attention to what Putin says, but how he says it. Words are not everything, it is not just what you read or hear – it is what you see. Thank you Occupy Schagen)

Albert Mehrabian, a researcher of body language… first broke down the components of a face-to-face conversation. He found that communication is 55% nonverbal, 38% vocal, and 7% words only.

You must also pay attention to the setting – the context— in which communication happens—and shapes perspective. Try and imagine the Mona Lisa without a background!

Larry Johnson offers a transcript of Putin at a hospital talking to wounded soldiers. That's 7%. But how about the rest—the other 93%?

To get that —you have to study the video. And follow Putin's expressions – his body language—as well as the room and the people in it—and their reactions. As my friend Occupy says, we experience the world holographically.

Read it all: